View Single Post
      02-01-2021, 07:57 AM   #18
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
How was the balance of the 996 on track; was managing the oversteer an issue even with the full race setup? I know it was difficult to manage the slip. thanks for sharing your experiences all.
Hat tip to MBM340 for the photos website - I was able to look up an online picture of "my old car" at the 2004 Daytona 24:

https://www.racingsportscars.com/pho...-02-01-014.jpg

The 996 GT3 Cup was fairly neutral on track - I would say that it was more apt to understeer pretty much everywhere, rather than oversteer. (But again, I was a complete amateur.) My race mechanic probably set it up extra-understeer-y to keep me from doing anything stupid (he is smart like that).

I eventually started generating some slip angles on power, but I think it would have been far easier to learn how to do that (and generally how to corner quickly) in a lower-powered car running DOT tires (Hoosiers or whatever back then) rather than slicks. A lot less money, too. It also would have been easier to learn somewhere more forgiving, rather than Watkins Glen (where I went the most).

My last race car was a track-prepped RS America with a mildly tweaked engine and gearbox, cage, fuel cell and fire system running DOT tires under a rubber-less suspension. It was super-flat through the corners and a much better platform to learn on. For anyone thinking about going racing (or even just trackdays), my hearty recommendation is that this is the way to go...there will always be time to get the super-gee-whiz snarling race car down the road, once you know what you're doing.
Appreciate 3
racerbruce3853.50
MBM3401026.00
clutchdj1878.50