View Single Post
      03-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

This is long and convoluted but hopefully it will help folks to get their auto up and down functioning again.

I have an '06 on which the the battery just died. After a jump to get the car home I notice that auto up on both sides no longer works. Dealer fixes battery and cannot fix the auto up problems. Service guy tried repeatedly tries to re-initialize to no avail and tells me I have to come back in a week because there must be a general module fault.

So this past weekend I scour the forum for more info. Try every reset procedure posted and NONE of them work.

On a whim and starting with windows and top up, I lower the top remotely with the key. Since the top will not go back up with the key, I put it up by using the key in the door. Continuing to hold the key I wait for the windows to go up after the top is up. No dice - windows do not go up.

So I try lowering the top with the key in the door and then and raising it with the key in the door. Voila! the passenger window goes up this time but not the drivers window.

Now I get in the car, turn the ignition on and confirm that the passenger window now works. It does. The driver's window still does not work. This is when I notice something strange - the manual up position on the drivers side does NOTHING. The window only goes up in manual mode in the AUTO UP position!

Then I notice that moving the passenger switch up to manual up generates an almost inadible click and the driver's side does not do this. For reasons unknown I manually raise the drivers window to the mid position and stop. Then I just sit there like an idiot gently pulling the switch up to the MANUAL up position. At first nothing happens. I keep gently doing this and then I start hearing clicks. After a few clicks, the window starts moving up in manual in the manual position. I run the window up and down manually several times, holding the switch in position at top and bottom. Now the window will repeatedly move up in the manual position. So I try auto up. Voila! Auto up now works on drivers side and on passenger side.

I have no earthly idea why this worked and I had tried so many different things that I am not sure if I have correctly written the sequence down.

The bottom line is that, if you fiddle long enough, you can get everthing working again. Still working two days later.

Maybe someone else can follow up a little on this and determine the definitive way to get auto up on both windows working again.

I hope this helps everybody.
Appreciate 0