View Single Post
      05-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

That's unfortunate.

Another option for a mesh system if Eero.

But I did a search and it seems Ubiquiti has a mesh system. It's really meant for outdoors but I don't see why it couldn't work as an indoor system. There's cult following with Ubiquiti by many network nerds. From what I see, Ubiquiti is a pretty solid system with Enterprise features but at pretty affordable prices.

As an aside, there's a lesson to this situation for those doing renovations or buying new construction housing. Everyone thinks about wiring up the house with structured wiring but never think about the wireless aspect. While having rooms wired gets you partially there with being able to implement a proper wireless system, the complete setup is to have cabling pulled to ceiling boxes where you would optimally place an AP. I have my house pretty much fully wired and have a centralized managed wireless system that has 4 APs. While the system works flawlessly, it's not optimal as the APs are placed near where I have available network drops. The APs are not placed for optimal wireless performance. Fortunately, I can run cabling and such to locations where they are optimal as I have a 2" conduit going from the basement all the way up to the attic. I haven't done it yet as I've been just too lazy to start the project.

ETA: Forgot to elaborate on outdoor APs. The only differences with outdoor APs and indoor APs are as follows:

1) Obviously they're built to withstand being exposed to the elements in addition to having internal heating for cold weather operation.
2) External antennas. This is done to allow flexibility in the mode of operation of the AP for servicing wireless clients with omnidirectional antennas or with directional antennas for point to point bridging.
3) Higher RF output. The FCC allows APs which are for outdoor use to output more RF power due to the intended use case.

Last edited by zx10guy; 05-03-2020 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0