Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I don't think plant-based diets are completely unhealthy but processed plant-foods are. You are right plant-based diets are not the be all end all. Problem is, almost everything around us is filled with industrial by-products now. The freshwater study testing sampling showed petroleum products in all the water tested around the country. Then think about the chemicals like round-up and lawn products homeowners and farmers spray. They go right into the waste water and water processing and the plants suck that up. The problem with meats in this modern age is that all of the toxins plants accrue are magnified by feeding them to livestock. The meat we eat have so much hormone, antibiotic, and plant toxins in them to make us sick. Forget about fish, the worst for obvious reasons.
More specifically in regards to "processed", it's not even the accidental toxins introduced along the way, some of it is specifically by design toxic. Number one worst offender is "vegetable oil", that has problems on a lot of levels. For starters it's high in Omega 6 fats and not just prone to oxidation but comes that way from the factory. When these damaged fatty acids get incorporated in your tissue as in your mitochondrial cell membranes it's the exact biologic equivalent of a battery with an internal short. The "partially hydrogenated" oils are 10x wors than those even.
"processed wheat" is a mechanical process where it's pulverized in a roller mill for the same reasons a cokehead chops up his line nice and fine, to make it instantly absorb for the rush. That's what processed wheat does, but the rush you don't know about is the insulin spike because the processed wheat is converted into glucose within minutes of chewing it. Keep that up all day long with cookies and crackers and bread and that's how you get T2D.
Sugar is half glucose and half fructose. An overload of glucose isn't good for you for above reason, but fructose is a toxin that the body treats the same way as alcohol, that is that it can only be metabolized by the liver, the rest of the body can't use it and doesn't want it, this is why soda guzzlers get NAFLD and have livers that look just like an alcoholic.
All those things are technically "vegan", and they're what the majority of ppl vegan or not default to, that's why e1 is so unhealthy these days you can graph it along with the consumption of crap.
I believe a kind of "neo-paleo" works best. I eat a lot of plants, lots of shellfish and low on the foodchain fish like mackerel and sardines, limited amounts of pastured beef. No processed crap.

More important than what you eat is what you don't eat, if it comes in a plastic bag or cardboard box it's probably bad for you. If it comes from the perimeter of the grocery store where real foods are it's probably OK.

Also as important is WHEN you eat, the "small meals frequently" strategy needs to be put to rest. But I digress, maybe in another thread
Appreciate 3
chassis6554.00
Bunnny219.50