View Single Post
      08-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #44
beyondbored
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 08 - E85

Hey all, my 08 Z4's top just stopped working the other day. The latches lock/unlock fine (down and up) and the windows go down when they are supposed to which rules out (with my little knowledge) that it's an electrical/computer issue and the switch in the boot isn't the issue. I had just gotten back from vacation, put the top down to drive into work as the morning was super nice, and the top's motor sounded like it was working pretty hard than what I've ever heard before, however, it was successfully able to open. I drove to work and then tried to put up the top. As I held the close button, their was no response besides the hooks releasing. After pressing the button a couple of times and holding it for an extended period of time, the motor sounded like it spooled up and it tried to close the top however it sounded super weak and only made it halfway before it failed. It hasn't made a sound since.

I have been looking up tutorials about how to remove the top and check the actuators, hydro lines, and the motor and as I read, it seems that my motor is likely the issue. I don't have much experience working with cars or anything but have been getting more and more into it since I got my Z4 just over a year ago. I'd like to do this whole getting a mustang motor and placing it in my trunk (if the motor ends up being the issue), however, this seems a bit daunting for a newbie like myself. I'm wondering if there is anyone withing the Washington DC area that may want to assist or meet up or anything really.

One of the tutorials which seems to be the most likely course of action I may plan on taking is this one - https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ving-roof-DONE - where the individual was able to access the motor without the removal of the roof by removing the shelf in the trunk.
Appreciate 0