View Single Post
      10-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
My company has a huge selection of shim washers so I was thinking about going that route myself -- I may still depending on how the alignment turns out. The standard shims (similar to those sold on the washersusa site) all have an OD of 3/4" (19mm) for the ID 1/2" sizes, whereas the washers have an OD of 24mm. Not sure how important the difference in bearing surface is in this application — it may be a nonissue. We also have "wide rim" shims where the OD is increased to 7/8" (22mm), but the hardness rating is reduced to RH B65 vs. the B85 of the standard shims and the B90 minimum of the hardened washers. Again, not sure if that matters much at all in this application.

jbh, do you remember what his toe recommendation was for the back? Would be interested in hearing your impressions of how the car handles with your setup.
It is a load bearing surface so the size of the washer is important. If I recall, the size of the washers used on the Turner kit is about the same OD as the built-in factory washer on the OEM bolt.

I'm not a material engineer or scientist, so I would only offer a guess that the material strength, stretch characteristics should all be equivalent to the factory washer.
Appreciate 0