View Single Post
      09-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #30
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If anyone is looking to DIY paint the spoilers, I have a few tips and tricks, although the spoiler looks fantastic in exposed carbon (I'm just not into that*).

Keep the box the spoiler came in with, punch/drill 2 small holes where the bolt holes are on the bottom end of the spoiler, and mount the spoiler inside the box with a couple of spacers and double nut to secure. This way when you paint the top you don't have to worry about the bottom touching anything. Took me 2 tries to figure this out.

If you don't have a good paint booth (like most people), you can keep the spoiler in the massive box it came with, spray inside the box, then close up the box until the required time it takes for your paint to dry to touch. I used a hair dryer through a hole I drilled on the side to speed up the drying process on a cold day.

I ended up taking it to a local bodyshop for the final polish, because my random orbital polisher wasn't "cutting" it...The clear coat orange peel was too sever. They did it free of charge which was cool. But the final polish has to be done with the spoiler mounted on car.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0