View Single Post
      01-11-2022, 09:56 PM   #20
mothy5000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW Z4 3.0si E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Please go to about 4:10 in the attached video.

In the attached video you can clearly here the motor running but, no movement. ( yes, the red handle by pass has also failed in the video).
In the video the motor is running but the top isn't moving because of some kind of pump failure. You can hear your motor running but no top movement. Yea, your pump may have unseen water damage, simply failure due to age or because you made an error of some sort putting the pump/motor back together.

Yea, I know it's very costly, but a new pump/motor combo should get your top moving again.
JAS1169 Thanks for the video! After your post I started looking really hard at the pump itself. The entire process was acting like the red release knob was pulled so I followed that to the pump and pulled that mechanism apart to see how it worked.

There is a brass release nipple (for lack of a better word because that's what it looks like) that gets pressed whenever you pull the red knob. I'm pretty sure the spring behind the nipple was corroded forcing the nipple to constantly stay in the "pulled position".

Luckily, I'm the moderator of a Facebook Z4 group and had a member meet me an hour up the road with a mint condition pump/motor combo out of his Z4M. I switched pumps/motors and the top opened immediately on the first try! It doesn't close on its own after about 6-7 tries. It does try and I have to pull on it a little to get it to close on its own. I'm guessing there is still air in the closing lines, perhaps? And that it will take several more tries to work 100%. If anyone has any ideas for that I would really appreciate it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0