View Single Post
      06-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #10
BobR07Z
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR07Z View Post
Update:
OK, I just finished removing the top pump/motor assembly thru the trunk, that link that you shared was very, very good and it made me decide to not remove the top. It is not a easy job, but if you follow the instructions, it's all there. (The motor case was half full of water). I tested the motor again at the motor to make sure that was the problem and sure enough. I did separate the motor from the pump and was quite surprised as to why more people aren't replacing just the motor. You have to separate very carefully and not loose any of the pins or spring, and have something to catch the fluid, but that's it! Watch how it comes apart and it really isn't a big deal.
I ordered the motor $117, and fluid $16, from ebay. Note that you want to get the exact motor replacement. I found a seller that advertises the motor built in Germany, not China, so I will wait a week now and proceed to put it all back together when I get it.
Thanks again for your posting and the link you shared.
update to come*
Update:
Just installed the motor only and thought I would share some pictures on this. I'm still waiting on the fluid to arrive so the top isn't functionable yet but I did test the motor hooked up and it seems to be right. I have say that the motor drive assembly is quite simple and bulletproof against putting it together wrong, it only can go together one way. I'll update the roof operation after the fluid arrives Monday.
Note: the pin and spring connects the motor to the pump and drives the pump, make sure the spring doesn't push past the collar on the pin or it will collapse and not drive the pump. While holding the pin in hand, push the spring upward against the pin collar and if it passes over there collar you have to bend the spring END slightly so that it fits tight and doesn't pass over there collar.
Attached Images

Last edited by BobR07Z; 06-18-2020 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 3
belcom178.50
Veeli0.00