View Single Post
      03-29-2018, 06:57 AM   #27
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
The way things are heading with uber highend performance vehicles today is solid mounting.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one I think. Is that why the new 2019 Porsche GT2 RS comes stock with solid rose joints and bushings

If you are man enough you will eventually go solid
I fail to see the resemblance from an engineering pov.
The reasoning: "a gt2rs has it too, so it make sense that I have it" makes no sense. Did you make a fatigue study to the parameters of your z4 subframe in relation to the chassis, used materials and acting forces?
I bet bmw have, and so have porsche. Maybe a reason why the porsche is build totally different?
Like I said, first of all the width of the mounting points of the subframe are a key factor in relation to the acting forces on the chassis. This is even without considering the structural build of the chassis itself.

Let me point that out to you for the examples displayed in this topic:

Z4/e46 subframe with mounting width, where the e46 is known for chassis damage resulting from forces coming from the undercarriage:

F80 subframe with mounting width (huge compared to z4):

Porsche 911, even bigger, beefier: part of a massive wide subframe assembly where also the engine and gearbox is fitted in (in the picture only parts of the subframe assembly have been fitted, more is yet to be bolted in):

But you do to your car what makes you happy. But please dont think you have all the engineering parameters covered, because you didnt address a single one. Except that you have to be 'man enough' of course.

In the end it all comes down to how long you want the car to last. If you're fine with a car that will potentially be a technical write off in 20k miles then go ahead, but if you expect any 100k reliability you're taking a risk, especially if you drive it as someone who is 'man enough'
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-29-2018 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0