View Single Post
      12-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I found the tweeter to be the weak point in the Carver/Top Hi Fi system, not a bad tweeter, just not really high end. When I put the aluminum mids back in, I also replaced the BSW tweeter with a JL Audio C5075-CT - 3/4" Evolution C5 Series Silk Dome. One thing I noticed with both replacement tweeters, and you may experience this with your Hertz system (the factory EQ, when set flat, is geared towards the factory speakers obviously), is that the replacement tweeters are too bright. I had to adjust the graphic EQ to compensate. This could be a result of the efficiency rating of the replacements, but I am more inclined to think it is the roll-off/natural characteristics of the factory tweeter.

John
Just tested the speakers on my garage stereo, have to say that the difference is noticeable in favor of the factory mid, even with my untrained ears. The 6.5" was better for the Hertz, the tweeter was brighter on the Hertz, but the mid on the Hertz was "muddled" on piano and guitar. Just so happens Tori Amos Flavor was on the cable station while I was testing the mid. I could hear the piano, and even a harp clearly on the factory mid while the Hertz mid was not clear and distinct.

I'm replacing the head unit and adding an amp so I should be able to soften the brightness of the tweeters between the EQ in the HU, and the settings on the crossover.

Thanks again for your input.
Appreciate 0