Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
resurrecting this thread for any recent thoughts and advice
I recently drove a z4mc and loved it, but still left wondering if an SI would fit me better
Priorities....

Is a high-strung highly caffeinated experience, and requirement to be focused solely on driving important? That's the Z4M.

I haven't driven a 3.0 SI, but I've owned a lot of cars. Maybe as many as you lol. 06 Cayman, 997.2 Carrera S, 991.1 GT3. All the 3 series /M cars except the E30.

The Z4M demands more from me than any I've owned. And only rewards for driving that's well executed. You really have to be on your a game to dance well with the car. That's what I like, it's a challenge, I don't get bored. It also, as others have pointed out, wants to go go go, and really doesn't seem happy puttering around. It lets you know that too, just as it lets you know when you're being ham-fisted or not smooth with weight transfer and inputs. It's exuberant when I get things right.

Is a slightly more relaxed, smoother experience something you want? From everything I'm seeing in this thread, and other stuff I've read, the 3.0 sounds like a very enjoyable, capable, satisfy, highly old-school sports car experience. But a bit more of a relaxed experience than the Z4M. A smoother experience, a car that doesn't scream "go go go go go" all the time and make quite as many demands on you.

The Cayman, and most modern Porsche's, are very refined and precise no drama cars IMO. They don't noticeably interfere, but they're always helping, making things smoother, perhaps a bit easier, always behind the scenes. I never felt my P cars or /M cars demanding as much from me as a driver as the Z to dance well with. Now, that's neither good nor bad, it just is. If you like the Porsche experience then maybe the 3.0 (which I'm pretty certain has a bit more drama than the Cayman, but not as much as the /M) is your thing. If you want things more raw, more demanding, the /M may suit those needs better.

All purely opinion and YMMD
Appreciate 3
baege1340.50
wdb4752.50
yousefnjr6190.50