View Single Post
      05-30-2023, 01:20 PM   #318
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Of course Verstappen would have pitted under the safety car.
Extending his chances to win. Not in time, but in fresher tyres and maybe better choice in tyres (because later in the race). VER wouldn't have lost a place under SC as his lead whas then about 35 sec or so (13 sec plus boxtime from ALO).

However, a SC due to the rain (crashing cars) and ALO already have pitted for slicks would have been a big risk for ALO, as lots of cars then already been in inters (OCO, RUS, HAM).

So also in this scenario, I think ALO had more of a strategic disadvantage than an advantage because if rain causes cars to crash, slicks are likely the wrong choice.

I think ALO had more to loose looking at who was behind him and on what tyres, than to win looking at who was in front.
Also, ALO is in the race for the championship. Sure a win is nice, but a finish is more important.
If it would have been OCO and in 2nd place, I would have understood the risk. Whether OCO finishes 2nd or 3rd is all great, and finish 3rd to risk 2nd place but having a tiny chance to win is maybe a deal to consider.
But ALO currently has a real chance to finish 2nd in the WDC, or at least 3rd. I think that is more important than a slight chance to win Monaco. Also there was a risk of ALO crashing, as he was also on slicks in the rain for a moment (a longer moment than Max).

I think ALO pitting for slicks, and either not wait a lap to see what the weather would do or directly go for inters (like almost half the field already did at that moment) only gave strategic disadvantages, both for a scenario with SC as a scenario without SC.
I can't see him making up 13sec due to making the undercut if he chooses the right tyre, there's a chance of choosing the wrong tyre, and if there's a SC due to cars crashing in the rain, then you're already on the wrong tyre if you chose slicks.
So I think here RB/VER not only showed superior driving/superior car, but also superior strategy.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-30-2023 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60145.00
Artemis29468.50