Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungshui View Post
Any updates? I'm in the market for a new battery.

My O'Reilly Super Start Platinum - AGM Battery (Part #48PLT) failed at 3 years and 1 month (3 year warranty).
Why would you want to pay almost $300 for an AGM battery? Regardless of how great it is, you would most likely want to swap it out every 4 to 5 years anyway as batteries have a tendency to just randomly die with age. Just pick one with a good warranty and call it the day. Batteries had gone so expensive recently, I've decided to try out a Walmart AGM for my 17-year-old X5 (pictured below), which have a 4 year free replacement warranty...will see how that goes

I had various batteries over the years and had come to the conclusion that they're all basically the same. Some examples that I could remember (you can tell I'm an old fart with the list):
  • Interstate (Exide) - Gone through 2 bad batteries in a row within 1 week and finally, replaced it with a 3rd one that lasted about 3 years.
  • Sears Diehard - Lasted about 4 years. Just died suddenly one afternoon. I had remembered that it started the car perfectly that morning without any signs of going bad (no slow start), then went to completely dead in that afternoon.
  • Autozone Duralast (JCI) - The AGM lasted 4.5 years until it stop holding a charge. The flooded one went 5 years before I preemptively replaced it (could probably go longer)
  • O'Reilly Super Start (Exide) - Slow turnover after 3 years...preemptively replaced
  • Carquest - Slow turnover after 4 years...preemptively replaced
  • Honda - Two died after 4 years. One died after 7 years.
  • PepBoys Bosch AGM - One lasted 7 years+ before I preemptively replaced it (could probably go longer). Another one stop holding a charge after 2 years and got warrantied.
Attached Images

Last edited by XMetal; 08-04-2021 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0