View Single Post
      04-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #530
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Yeah, there are two major problems motivating me to send it in:

- When cold, the car is quite temperamental. I'm used to this as my '88 Supra Turbo was no better, but it's really annoying. The car will surge and misfire especially around 2.5-3k (never run a cold engine higher than that anyway, but 3k is usually desirable for a quicker warm-up, and that's not feasible until after the car has run for a few minutes).
- Even when completely warmed up, the engine will cut out entirely if given a large throttle input at or below 2,000RPM (even in 1st gear!). This invariably causes a violent lurching reaction in the power train as the motor is then restarted by the wheels, briefly produces power, and cuts out again, so I instead live in fear and try to avoid this.

I'm genuinely surprised that the car is so sensitive even at low RPM when there is very little boost that could possibly be leaking--and both smoke tests and my own analysis have indicated there is no leak until at least 4-5PSI. Of course, these problems exist even after ripping out the Active Autowerke Gen IV headers and swapping in OEM Euros.

I'm not really disappointed with the total power output since putting on the higher pressure pulley to compensate for the lost boost, but I'm hoping that the properly tuned setup will further impress.

As for videos, sadly I don't live up the hill anymore, but I'm not too far from the same route. I would like to take the car to a track soon (probably June or later due to other stuff) and will try some new AV stuff there.
Appreciate 0