View Single Post
      07-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
rmonte4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

H&R Springs Installation on a 3.0si

I have little knowledge working on cars and I attempted to do the install on my own after getting a few ridiculous quotes from a couple auto shops in my area.

I did the rear in 1 hour by myself, then tried to do the front and failed miserably. After about 3 hrs of hassle trying to put the front end on my jack stands and taking off the front-left strut, I realized that taking off the spring from the strut would be a very big pain in the ass with the tools I had. With my energy dwindling I decided to put the Front-Left back together. This took me an additional 3 hrs including long breaks to catch my breath. I followed BILL's DIY for coilovers, And I was naive enough to think Springs would be the same, but the very last step is to take the tophat off and install the new spring which is very difficult for a DIY. IMO this install requires power tools/air tools, 2 spring compressors, and 4 sets of hands. ~FAIL

Drove my car with just the rears replaced for 2 days, and took it to a mechanic who gave me the best estimate. $266 for the fronts only (4 hrs labor). It is at the shop now, I will update later.

I did have 2 other quotes for the front only, $320 and $575.

My body is still in pain ALL OVER....

~n00b

Last edited by rmonte4; 07-30-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0