09-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #856
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Daytonas are way out of my league right now, but for me, any Rolex nowadays has the unwanted turn off of the d'bag popularity/bougie showoff image. No offense - I realize those on this forum aren't into them for that reason, but I hope some can relate to my conflict. I always wanted a Rolex, since they are obviously an icon and trailblazer in creating the kind of mechanical exemplar that I love, tool watches at the performance level of surgical gear or F1 machinery. But now they are popular with the wrong kind of people for the wrong reasons, and I cringe at the association (kind of like P-cars). I have to ask myself, would Steve McQueen or Paul Newman have used their contacts to get a Daytona today, or would they go with something as robust and underappreciated as the Daytona was in those days? Or am I just rationalizing my current love of Seiko?
There are plenty of undercover rolexes you can buy. Most people know gold datejusts and steel subs. No one would know what an exp I is or Milgauss for example. I have a polar explorer and no one has made mention of it or treated me in any unusual way when I'm wearing it. If you want a Daytona, go for it. It's just a regular chrono to most people.

And there's nothing wrong with seikos. I love my prospex SUN023.
Appreciate 0