09-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #844
Lennon997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
To each his own.

As you stated, there are those of us that do not purchase a Rolex as a status symbol. I think for many, we get started that way, but then something else clicks. For me, my first Rolex Submariner (20 years ago) was the status symbol of owning a Rolex. My love for the watches has grown and changed.
Now, I'm into the older, collector pieces. Not at all because they're a status symbol, but because for the most part, they are different from modern watches. The idiosyncrasies of the worn watch, the patina, the non-perfect case/band/insert from years of wear (in my case - almost 50 years) all play into what drives my passion.
If I see an old watch and it's just been polished, it loses it's luster for me. I want the knicks and scratches on it. Especially my next buy - either a DRSD or Comex. They are considered the ultimate tool watch.

Your argument could go against BMW as well regarding popularity. They were the drivers car with the best chassis/handling (3-series) that were sold to enthusiasts. But for me, they've lost it and have caved to try to sell more cars. Numb steering, chassis tuned towards ride comfort and engines that are good, but not great anymore.

No....the GMT is the ultimate tool watch, or even a GMT2.

but the comex and the DRSD, for those who know like us, ughhhh :happy anim:: happyanim::happya nim:
Appreciate 0