11-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
A moisture test is a good idea. That would confirm whether it was from moisture or as you say some contamination. I don't think a picture is going to help. The car is very clean, doesn't go out really in inclement whether (but still sees around 7K miles a year). Our heated seats are great!

I tapped a contact I know who has been a BMW master tech for 2 decades or so regarding the need to flush the ABS system as a maintenance routine. He basically said "no". Here is his response:

"We dont normally bleed the abs module. The fluid goes from the frt and rear ports on the brake master through the abs module to the individual wheels. So it is getting flushed but there are some parts that won't be flushed as the valves are not being opened and closed unless they are activated thru the tester. You could go out and stomp on the brakes to activate the abs and then do your flush. I wouldn't worry about it. I have always done just regular flushes on all of my BMW's and never had a problem. That's what we do here at work"
I've owned BMWs for 30 years and all of them have had ABS from my '89 E30 onward. I've never run an ABS module flush. Just about to go over to the shop now to flush the Z4.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0