View Single Post
      06-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #10
mainsoda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M coupe

OK so I guess I'm highjacking my own thread here

I found a cool heavy ball and set it up today in the beautiful summer weather.

I haven't gotten the whole lighted shift knob thing figured out yet, but step one is complete. I have a big heavy ball shifter and let me tell you, it's amazing.

I didn't want to drill into or modify the stock shift mount in any way (one day may want to return to stock) so what I did was got some 5/8th inch brass hollow tube stock and cut it to length. I started out taller, but went down to this height which feels perfect to me. I got a bolt that was too big to fit into the brass tube and carved it down until it fit like a vanos assembly and then added two other nuts to give it side to side stability. The nuts were also perfectly fitted into the tube. Then I tapped the whole assembly in and was going to epoxy it together, but it was so tight I didn't need to.

I used some of that Flex tape to fill in the narrow gap between the brass tube and the shift stalk and it held great and will cure more by tomorrow. Then I bought 10 washers and put those in the hollow space under the ball making the whole assembly very heavy.

The shifts feel like glass now with all that weight and I love the feel of the smooth ball under my hand. What do you guys think?

Appreciate 0