08-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman51 View Post
I've always thought Michelin made great tires, and the Cup 2s seem to be considered very good (albeit quite pricey).

I have been considering purchasing a second set of wheels, and swapping out track day tires for the drive to, and at, the track. The thinking being that the PS4S tires become my street tires, with something more track specific on another set of wheels for track days.

You bring up a good point, maybe I will just replace the fronts with another pair of PS4S tires. I had always though all 4 tires should be replaced at the same time if there is reasonable wear on any of the axles??

How much would this affect tire size and choice? Would it affect wheel choice or just possible spacer requirements?

It was a spin and 4 wheels off excursion that unseated the left front bead. I have to drive about 300m back to the pits. It was re-seated it at the track and I kept going. Then uh.. the next day I had another 4 wheels off excursion.. I had to drive about 1km back to tbe pits, and the left front had been unseated again. It was re-seated at the track and I drive it ~500km home without issue.

I was advised the fronts should not be used as track day tires after this much driving flat / damage to the sidewall.

I realize two 4 wheel excursions in two days is a bit daft, but one was (an over-reaction) to avoid a spin in front of me, and the other.. welp.. I thought I could take a particular bend flat out, but the laws of physics disagreed.

Yeah, this does make sense, and I very much appreciated the words of wisdom!

At this point I am thinking to get a set of PS4S fronts in 245/40/18, then next season get another set of track day tires and wheels at some point.

Cheers,
Eamonn
I run cup 2's and they're decent but not worth their sticker price. I got mine on discount but would not buy them at MSRP. I would much rather stick to a 200tw tire for same price (e.g. RS4 or RE71R).

If you're still figuring out the car and finding yourself caught in "oh shit" moments on track, I would think you'd want to stick to a sticky street even longer. R-comps will break traction w/ less warning. You should be thinking of moving to a grippier tire when you've outdriven your current tire but doesn't sound like that's the case with PS4S. Plus nowadays, most of those 200tw "cheater" tires are within close distance of R-comps but offer better wet traction anyway.

Coilovers will likely offer more strut side clearance meaning you can stuff wider rims and wider tires. It's surprising that Apex would even suggest a 245/35-18. I've seen them recommend 245/40 and 255/35-18 for front but never a 245/35.

Re the rears, keep in mind a 265 in one compound maybe equal to (or even greater) than 275 in another so you shouldn't focus on certain #. Figure out your rim size, tire compound, suspension settings (ride height, camber, caster), and then worry bout what's the most you can stuff. 265 square works well for everyone but if you're sticking to staggered, then 245/265 and 255/275 are popular choices but again you really need to figure out those other limiting factors first.