08-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
1. Why are you looking at the Cup 2s (as opposed to other brand/models)? What's wrong with the PSS you have now (if its just a matter of replacing the fronts)?
I've always thought Michelin made great tires, and the Cup 2s seem to be considered very good (albeit quite pricey).

I have been considering purchasing a second set of wheels, and swapping out track day tires for the drive to, and at, the track. The thinking being that the PS4S tires become my street tires, with something more track specific on another set of wheels for track days.

You bring up a good point, maybe I will just replace the fronts with another pair of PS4S tires. I had always though all 4 tires should be replaced at the same time if there is reasonable wear on any of the axles??

Quote:
3. If you know coilovers are coming, that will affect your tire fitments so would you rather buy for what you have now or plan to do later?
How much would this affect tire size and choice? Would it affect wheel choice or just possible spacer requirements?

Quote:
4. How'd the front tire get unseated to begin with? Going two off and picking up dirt is very different from sliding sideways. If the former, I'd see if a shop can just rebead using sealant and pay attention to pressures. If it's not 'fixable', then I wouldn't run them at all.
It was a spin and 4 wheels off excursion that unseated the left front bead. I have to drive about 300m back to the pits. It was re-seated it at the track and I kept going. Then uh.. the next day I had another 4 wheels off excursion.. I had to drive about 1km back to tbe pits, and the left front had been unseated again. It was re-seated at the track and I drive it ~500km home without issue.

I was advised the fronts should not be used as track day tires after this much driving flat / damage to the sidewall.

I realize two 4 wheel excursions in two days is a bit daft, but one was (an over-reaction) to avoid a spin in front of me, and the other.. welp.. I thought I could take a particular bend flat out, but the laws of physics disagreed.

Quote:
If you’re “still figuring out this beast” as you say, I would think you’d want to continue running street tires before looking at more aggressive compounds where incidents can become more costly? Plus by then you’ll know what suspension you’re running do you can optimize everything together.
Yeah, this does make sense, and I very much appreciated the words of wisdom!

At this point I am thinking to get a set of PS4S fronts in 245/40/18, then next season get another set of track day tires and wheels at some point.

Cheers,
Eamonn
Appreciate 0