View Single Post
      06-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

So after the install, you can see the pads use 100% of the rotor surface and the pads are bigger, so, in my opinion, that loss of area on the piston side (the 6-pot calliper apparently provide less area than the single 60mm piston calliper) is compensated by the massive difference on the pad side.

A few comments on what I noticed right after the install

1. the pedal is about 20% firmer, I was actually expecting a bigger change, but was also afraid it could be too hard, so I am fine with the improvement I am seeing. Also, the original setup for some reason had a soft pedal feel along the whole pedal travel, with not much change in pedal feel in proportion to pedal travel and brake force; with the 6-pots, the pedal starts to become firmer as the pedal is pushed further and the brake force increases, which I like. You are still able to trigger the ABS if you go deep on the brake pedal (this does not require much force v stock, it is just firmer). The issue with the OE setup is that it required very little force, which I did not like.

2. I did not see any change in normal driving behaviour, nor I would say there was a change in the braking power at all. All in I like the new feel as I have better feedback on how much braking I am applying versus travel and firmness of the pedal.

Next, I will install my rear 996 Brembos along with new lines and then a complete brake fluid flush, which should complete the package

See the pad versus the rotor surface

Name:  IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  425.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0098.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  283.2 KB

And of course, it looks better

Name:  IMG_0100.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  238.8 KB

Last edited by maupineda; 06-28-2020 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0