View Single Post
      08-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #20
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I'm with you on the first part about importance. But here is where a PSA might actually come in handy.

I used to be of the same mentality that people shouldn't continue up the ultimate merging point. Then I was told how the crews planned the merge (especially in construction instances) to make the most efficient use of the space available. I'm not talking driving over the white line to get an extra 2 car lengths, but also doesn't mean you have to immediately merge when the lane continues for another 1/4 mile (however many meters that is in Canada). The real issue is that people do not know how to properly zipper/merge without constant stop/go.
I don't have a problem with people using the merge lane (provided that they indeed are entering the highway, and not just pulling out from behind me into the merge lane to get a few extra car lengths which I've seen countless times).

But the above was not about merge lanes. I was talking using the actual dirt shoulder, not a merge lane. You aren't supposed to be driving along the shoulder for any extended period of time.
Appreciate 0