08-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #48
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You know, the more I look at it, I would TOTALLY get one.

But not new. Nor would I want the "///M" version or the M40i version. I'd probably get a base M28 with the 2 liter inline 4, used with maybe 30,000 miles on it, if it came with a manual.

Having had 2 convertible BMW Z's before, I've come to the realization that you don't need power, speed, nor great handling for the roadster experience. My Z3 1.9L was a hoot to drive, but primarily for the open top experience, the intimate nature of the drive, and I don't think I've ever "floored" it because, in all honesty? It can't do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds and can't top out at 120mph even if I got out and pushed.

My Z4 3.0i WAS a ton of fun on the track, but again, I don't think I would EVER consider using that as a primary track vehicle. It's nice to be able to take it to an autocross or two, and go to a track event nearby to sort of drive it around half-assed, but I would never be comfortable pushing a convertible like I push my other cars with closed roofs. But we had a lot of fun drives in So Cal with the top down and mostly cruising around.

I think this might be a nice car to get for my daughter when she's ready to drive in 5-6 years. I would pick up a 2020 or 2021 version, preferably post LCI, with the smallest engine they offer and hopefully in a manual, used. This way, she has a little fun car to drive around, we would once again have a roadster in the "garage" (technically, the Corvette is a "convertible", not a roadsters), and she wouldn't have the ability nor the temptation to put her friends in the car.

But if the base models (the 4 cyl) don't come with manuals, forget it. If she's going to learn how to drive a car, it's going to be on a stick shift.
And - the LCI may have addressed some of the styling nits that folks are griping about re the front of the car. More importantly, by then, any bugs in the design should be identified and fixed (After the E85 experience, I really want to know where they put that roof motor....). Aren't the 4 cylinder cars expected to be somewhere around 250 hp, or maybe more, particularly post LCI? Combined with a manual shift, they should be reasonably decent performers. So who knows - you may yet see oddly early rear tire wear and a speeding ticket or three.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0