View Single Post
      08-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #46
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You know, the more I look at it, I would TOTALLY get one.

But not new. Nor would I want the "///M" version or the M40i version. I'd probably get a base M28 with the 2 liter inline 4, used with maybe 30,000 miles on it, if it came with a manual.

Having had 2 convertible BMW Z's before, I've come to the realization that you don't need power, speed, nor great handling for the roadster experience. My Z3 1.9L was a hoot to drive, but primarily for the open top experience, the intimate nature of the drive, and I don't think I've ever "floored" it because, in all honesty? It can't do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds and can't top out at 120mph even if I got out and pushed.

My Z4 3.0i WAS a ton of fun on the track, but again, I don't think I would EVER consider using that as a primary track vehicle. It's nice to be able to take it to an autocross or two, and go to a track event nearby to sort of drive it around half-assed, but I would never be comfortable pushing a convertible like I push my other cars with closed roofs. But we had a lot of fun drives in So Cal with the top down and mostly cruising around.

I think this might be a nice car to get for my daughter when she's ready to drive in 5-6 years. I would pick up a 2020 or 2021 version, preferably post LCI, with the smallest engine they offer and hopefully in a manual, used. This way, she has a little fun car to drive around, we would once again have a roadster in the "garage" (technically, the Corvette is a "convertible", not a roadsters), and she wouldn't have the ability nor the temptation to put her friends in the car.

But if the base models (the 4 cyl) don't come with manuals, forget it. If she's going to learn how to drive a car, it's going to be on a stick shift.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0