View Single Post
      07-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsoda View Post
I think the oil reads high on the stock dipstick, but reads low on the ECS.

Am I crazy? Have you guys had any experience with this?
IF memory serves, the S54 has a semi dry-sump setup unlike most BMW engines. There's a full-on "wet" sump that the crank and the fuel pump share space with on the bottom of the engine, but there's also a secondary "dry" sump storage that stores an extra liter of oil to prevent oil starvation at high G forces.

Again, this is based purely on memory, but I recall in the owner's manual, it calls for reading the oil level after it's been warmed up (the car's been running for x numbers of minutes, oil up to operating temp at around 185º), then engine shut off, parked on level ground, wait 15 minutes then take a reading. If you take a reading right after you shut the car down, there's quite a bit of oil in the dry sump reservoir and you will read low. If you let the car sit for an extended period of time, the oil from the dry sump reservoir drains back into the wet sump and you will read HIGH.

Or it could just be the aftermarket dipstick is shorter.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
mainsoda171.50