07-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
What you have to take into consideration is the time it takes to shift vs. the difference in torque between 7500rpm and 5000pm, in addition to where you will be downshifting for the next corner, it an additional downshift is worth it. While these cars doesn't have a torque curve like say a Z06, the difference in torque drop off isn't as drastic as say an S2000 where you have to stay above a certain threshold every second to worry too much on the top end. That being said, if I'm coming into a corner and only have to leg it out for a second or two at high RPM to get through it, I'll do that over shift. There's a track here in the South that going 4-5th I cross the start finish line just as I am nearing redline. I'll normally leg it out till right before the limiter hits so I can know consistently that I'm crossing the line before that shift and getting every bit out of each lap.

Being it was your first track day, there is so much more speed to be found, so instead of thinking about it too much and taking a F1 data approach, just get back out there and drive and see what works best.
This is very good advice. As a novice driver myself I was overly occupied with finding "max power" on a couple of tricky corners at the track I frequent (a crested blind corner and a 90 degree left into some esses). My instuctor told me to leave it in 3rd and focus on improving my braking, line, and throttle rather than finding a gear (2nd) that landed me in the top of th rev band since, just like you said, the car has plenty of power even a bit farther down in the revs range.

I actually found leaving it in 3rd works just fine with these corners as the last thing I needed to worry about was "optimal" revs. Braking, line, smooth out on the throttle--much better than trying to add in yet another variable at this point for me. Maybe at some point in the future there's a couple of seconds to pick up with hitting second, but it's a PITA anyway on those corners and there's a lot more time to be lost on messing up the basics.

Now blasting down a straight is another story and the only consideration there is how much you're willing to beat on the car lap after lap.
Appreciate 0