View Single Post
      07-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Horsepower generally leads to faster top speeds, but the part of your powerband that you actually feel is the torque- that's to say when you get thrown back in your seat, you're feeling torque. Torque is the force from the engine that actually makes the change in speed happen. However, in petrol powered engines, more horsepower means more torque. Diesel engines generally have more torque than petrol engine per liter by design.

Torque is pulling power, and it’s best demonstrated as the grunt that gets you moving, while horsepower is what keeps you going.

The horsepower of an engine is how much work the ENGINE can do over time.
Torque, on the other hand, is a measure of how much a force acting on an object causes that object to rotate. It's the pulling power of the engine translated through the transmission.

So both are important. Generally speaking though, if you want more pulling capacity, torque is going to be important. But you aren't going to have much torque without much horsepower. And again, this will all depend on the type of transmission that you have. Hopefully this shed a bit of light on the situation for you.

^ The above was taken from sources online.

With that said, I feel that BMW knows what the eff they're doing, so I'm going to shift around redline if I want best acceleration

In any case, I want a turbo

Last edited by mfanatic325; 07-13-2011 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 0