View Single Post
      07-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
em koop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Powerband of S54

I recently completed my first track day in my 2008 Z4M coupe. (not my first track day, but first in this car) Tons of fun, no surprise there, but an instructor who rode with me suggested that while my lines were good, I was often in too high of a gear.

Before I went, I read up on the powerband of the engine, and to my surprise, the stock engine appears to make more torque at 4500rpm than it does at say 7000, despite its reputation for being a rev-happy car.

So, unlike a Honda Vtec engine where you really need to stay close to the redline to make max torque, it would seem to me that the car would pull harder in 4th at 5grand than it would in 3rd at 7500, for example.

Or, at least the engine makes more torque at a lower rpm, but perhaps because of the gearing maybe the car would pull harder in 3rd in the example above, even though its making a bit less torque ?

My butt dyno did not feel like it was pulling much harder at 7K than say 5K, but I realize that could be misleading. (unlike the Honda vtec which really does feel more alive right near the top, but it is more "peaky")

Any comments/suggestions from those more familiar with this ? Should I always strive to keep the revs as high as possible, even tho it doesnt feel like it's pulling harder ?
Appreciate 0