View Single Post
      05-16-2021, 08:18 AM   #88
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Indeed and the amount of permissible flex is strictly defined in the regulations.

Instead this particular cheat involves some kind of mechanism to move or rotate the whole rear wing assembly...in order to ​circumvent the load tests and cheat the moveable bodywork regulations.
The mechanism, be it a deformable structure, spring, joint, bearing, pivot, damper or whatever, only has to have sufficient preload to resist the FIA load test, but anything beyond that breaks the preload and allows the component to move or rotate to reduce drag, which contravenes the regulations.
The FIA are doubling the static load and pull back tests to stop teams cheating the regs...in addition to adding reference markings on the rear wing assembly to measure any movement at high speed.

Really? I'd love to see that regulation...do you have its page number in the 2021 technical regulations pdf available online?

I would add that its not just Red Bull who seem to be cheating but also Alpine.
I read that they do this by manipulating the carbon fiber weave to make the wing very strong when a force is applied at a particular location (where the FIA tests it), but still able to deflect when being pulled down by air passing under the wing
Appreciate 0