View Single Post
      05-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #21
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Again, if you're willing to put your ego aside you may eventually find a good driver underneath it. Really.

I'm not going to continue the pissing match, but what I will do, is tell you what what I picked out of your driving from the two short clips, plus your descriptions of what happened, is SPOT ON. Whether you choose to see it is your own prerogative, like I said. The sooner you realize that, the better off you will be.

What I WILL do though, is explain to you my thought process so that even if you do choose not to see beyond your own irrational hatred of everything I have to say while I continue to stay civil in these so-called one-sided discussions, at least the entire community can potentially benefit from it by learning from YOUR mistakes.

First, let me congratulate you. The ONE THING that saved you from wadding up another car, is the fact that you were looking where you need to go. What we usually teach in class, is that the one thing that will save you in an impending spin, is to continue to look where you need to go. In the series of events that lead to the compounding of mistakes that usually lead to a spin, there is ALWAYS one thing you can do all the way up to the point of the spin to correct it, and how you go about finding that one thing is going to go a very long way in making you a good driver instead of just a fast driver.

HAVING SAID THAT. What you said about the one thing you should do...and this is why I said you're more lucky than skilled...the one single thing that you THINK you did wrong, is the one other thing that went right. If you look at the video again closely, what you did, is you managed to prevent the so-called "pendulum" effect by what you termed, turning back into the turn too early. Had you not done that, and tried to go straight and applied brakes, at that speed, and at the angle of the spin, you would have spun around the other way. Because you WERE looking at where you want to go, you managed to want to turn back into the turn before the 2nd part of the spin, the part where it catches EVERYONE off guard, the counter spin, happened and prevented the full effect of the suspension rebounding from the tires catching from the first half of the spin. Hence every subsequent part of the spin was just simply a repeat of the logic loop until you've slowed down enough to manage the spin more effectively.

So the reason I piped up was the incorrect analysis of your spin, plus the fact that, after 5 laps of being stuck behind a driver you failed to manage to check your emotion and ego. And if you cared to read between the lines, I never said I don't suffer from red mist. All I said, is this stuff happens to me too. But I keep it in check. Even in a situation where I'm stuck behind an M6 that is basically only manage to stay in front of me is the drastic power difference on the straights and the fact that he never bothered to check his rear mirror, I don't let that frustration keep me from the fact that I need to continue to drive my lines and look past the car in front. Red mist gets to ALL OF US, it is a matter of how you manage it that is the difference. The fact that you chose to stay behind him for 5 laps to continue being frustrated by the Porsche bears repeating, that you haven't gotten the mental skills to manage that red mist...And that is a point bear repeating again. Red mist got to you. You need to manage that to be a better driver, period. And by allowing red mist to get to you, you've done a poor job as a driver and that is the simple truth.

As you can see (or not see, judging from your responses), I didn't just come to this conclusion based on a couple of 30 second videos. I came to this conclusion by reading your responses to the questions and the videos. I'm going to ask you to share this thread with people who you DO take advice from, the ones that you do respect enough to listen to, and ask them if ANYTHING I said in this thread is incorrect. Do that for your own sake, not mine.

And if they'd like to pipe in and say "The HACK, you're a f**kin' idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about," that's fine. They're there (potentially), they know you better. I AM just basing my observations on what I see and what I read. But just like your driving I think you're letting your ego and your emotional attachment to your own driving get in your way of actually becoming a better driver, as evident in this thread.
Appreciate 0