12-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Steering rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
I was hit on the rear passenger side, spun about 8 times in the road, followed by a slam on the curb. Both passenger wheels hit the curb at about the same time. My rear wheel broke and front wheel cracked. They were both replaced along with suspension components in front and rear. No damage to the frame. After the accident (and after the repair), i did notice a difference in the steering. It had been repaired by my local BMW dealer and covered by my insurance. They replaced the obvious things to the naked eye, but I then chose to take it to my mechanic. We put it up on the lift and he showed me the damaged tie rod ends and control arms. While we were in there, he suggested To replace rotors, brakes, control arm bushings, I also upgraded springs and shocks. Car felt better but didn’t feel the way it did prior to the accident. Kept driving it a few years until the loud clunk (felt and heard it coming from underneath the driver’s side) became more present. The only reason I took it to get an alignment is because in order to make it go straight, I have to have my steering wheel turned a bit to the left. The guys at this shop checked all components in front and after I told them about the vibration at 80MPH, they pointed out the rack and pinion as the culprit. This explains the vibration and also the loud clunk when turning the wheel. I wouldn’t worry about it if you haven’t had any sort of accident. I don’t believe it’s an item that just wears out after 100k miles.
Thank you Ross for your detailed account and transparency. The recovery of your Z4M is incredible. Looking forward to your updates after the steering rack is replaced.