View Single Post
      04-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
ChrisPiascik
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0

When I bought the car the Nav screen was not working properly. The backlighting didn't work so it was impossible to see in most light. Also it rattled a bit. I wasn't too worried because I knew it was an old system and thought I'd just get rid of it and swap in a new headunit... that has proved to be way more of a headache than I anticipated.

I bought a Grom Audio adapter to use my phone, the whole DSP thing was super confusing and I ended up getting it to work without the adapter because I couldn't figure out how to connect the adapter. This doesn't make sense to me because I didn't think it would work without the adapter... my iPhone connects and charges via USB but I can't figure out the Bluetooth, but as long as it works this much I'm ok. The only thing I miss is being able to answer the phone and hear it through the stereo.

I pulled the Nav screen out because the rattling was driving me crazy. Since I only use my iPhone for music the lack of a display on the Nav headunit wasn't the end of the world. I assumed there would be a pocket to fit where the Nav was, but to my dismay I discovered the non-Nav option cars don't have a hole at all... maybe I'll find one of those someday.

I thought I read the X3 one would work so I ordered one. It doesn't fit.

I ended up making a "temporary" patch for the time being...

I looked into getting a new headunit but was told it wouldn't work with my premium audio stuff. Part of me thought, that amp and subs are just adding weight anyway! But the other part of me has been enjoying having a great stereo system for the first time.

I found a business headunit from an '03 with premium audio and figured that would at least let me see the settings on the stereo. That seemed to work perfectly, except my iPhone wouldn't connect anymore... no idea why. Instead of giving up I ordered the aux input for the business radio, but that didn't work for some reason either. So... I put the stock one back in.

Oof.