View Single Post
      03-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #212
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Some good results this weekend (thanks, once more, to my buddy Chris who came down to help again) - the car tries to idle on IAC now! Built a little flange to mount the three h-bridge drivers on and wired up some connector pigtails (+12V / Ground; 3 input signals, out + inv out for IAC, out + inv out for intake / exhaust VANOS controllers):

Wired up the IAC solenoid last night (for high-side switching, like the VANOS solenoids, unlike how they are driven by the stock DME), threw the battery on the charger, and when we went out this morning it fired up right away and tried to idle. We also put on the section 1 pipes so the rear wideband O2 sensor reads properly and it's now very obvious that the mixture is insanely rich on both banks. Couldn't get it to re-start until I realized the intake air temp sensor wasn't plugged in (ECU thought air temp was 0 degrees C); after correcting that it fired up again and sounded rich but better. It blew a bunch of ultra-rich smoke out of the garage.

First time running with water in it, no leaks; now I have a short checklist before cam break-in and buttoning things up enough to get the car on the dyno:
* ATF fluid in the power steering system so I don't blow up the PS pump
* Figure out how to fix the input scaling on the rear wideband sensor to correct for what I assume is a pull-up resistor
* Fix the base map so it isn't trying to run the car at 10:1 or richer at 1,400RPM
* Put a connector on the VANOS solenoid leads, plug them into the h-bridge driver board, and verify that they're working properly

It's been a good weekend so far, despite the time change.
Appreciate 1