02-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #199
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
I had ordered that block off piece, but it didn't fit well at all on the Z4M heater pipe. Maybe you'll have better luck. I ended up taking to the local fabrication guy and he welded a cap on it after the pipe that returns to the overflow tank and the second bracket bolt point.

Here's a pic. It's painted black part way back.

Thanks! Worth noting that we Z4Mers have a different overflow reservoir / heater core plumbing than the E46 Mers do - I blocked the heater core / overflow tank return on the back of the water pump and the heater core outlet on the back of the external crossover pipe on the head.

I'm not convinced that we actually need the expansion tank return pipe so long as the upper hose is solid. It appears to be internally plumbed so that it acts as a proper expansion tank via the top hose, so I'm going to cap off the bottom outlet which is dimensionally identical to the outlet at the back of the external water pipe on the head. With the uprated radiator and significant additional oil cooling capacity I think I'd rather have the water velocity through the radiator than the scavenging effect from the overflow tank.
Appreciate 0