View Single Post
      06-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Hey christophertemple.

It's been many years and I don't remember the details about the installation. Note: The following is assuming you are installing the trunk module, and not the one directly to the back of the radio.

I was able to find this installation video by GROM. They appear to fish both connectors from behind the amp. Here's another video with a different BMW that shows the two connectors.

As far as the 6-pin connector is concerned, I'm fuzzy on what I did with it. However, as I'm revisiting the docs right now it seems to be DSP-related. According to the GROM DSP doc, it refers to this as the analog DSP connector:

Quote:
For these MY2002 and later vehicles, If there is a 3-pin and 6-pin connection (these were considered “Analog” DSP) available at the CD changer then the DSP adapter is NOT required.
If you require the DSP adapter, the last page of this doc shows the wiring.

There are additional things worth double checking. Per the instructions for the USB3 Trunk module, they warn against connecting the 3-pin to the wrong connector:

Quote:
Some BMW are factory wired for the cellular phone. Except for wire location, the factory cellular phone connector looks identical to the factory 3-pin connector used for the CD changer. The CORRECT 3-pin connector for the CD-Changer has a BROWN wire (ground) in the #1 pin position. Please make certain you use this connector. The INCORRECT factory cellular phone connector has a BROWN wire in the center position – DO NOT USE THIS CONNECTOR.
Additionally, are you testing music playback via USB or Bluetooth? If you have the BT module installed, did you try both?

I've had a good experience with GROM customer support. It may be helpful reaching out to them if none of the above helps.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophertemple View Post
koruptor -

I know its been a few years but I am installing a GROM in my 04 Z4 with DSP, no Nav

I am able to connect the 3 pin wiring harness and get everything but actual sound. The track I am playing is on the radio but no sound. I do not have the 6 pin connection wired because I cant find one and my best guess is that I need the DSP adapter. You said you didnt need it. Did you wire anything to the 6 pin plug from the GROM?