Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MC, M5, 540iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
/hijack

Did they ever fix that issue where the car would just cut out at high speed and the ABS light would come on? I'm going ton reinstall the SC soon and was wondering because my car did it too.
-I think so, but I don't know so. Confused? I'll explain...The kit has exhibited two problems, both of which exist only in the context of hard track driving. One is overheating - if driven hard enough and somewhat dependent on the track as well. The other is a triggering of limp mode that seems related to engine heat. IE: The car will limp under certain rare, but repeatable, throttle loadings once the oil temp has gotten over 265F.

Since both situations need remedy the thought was to tackle the cooling system first. Bring the temps down and by extension the limp mode issue will go away. One customer replaced his thermostat and oil diverter with racing units and that fixed his problem. But I don't know yet if the tracks he drives on offer the same engine loading as the ones I drive on. I've installed Bimmerworld's replacement oil diverter, but not the cooler thermostat. From what I've been able to find out the BMW Motorsport thermostat doesn't flow more that the street version, so it wouldn't increase system efficiency. It just makes the engine start at a lower temperature, which in my case would only help for 1-2 laps.

ESS has a new oil cooler configuration that its testing out in another customer's MC. The new unit is slightly larger and is located behind the driver-side brake duct (which is mostly unused in our street cars). If the diverter valve doesn't cool things off enough I may go with the new cooler system. I am also considering fabricating an aluminum air guide for my existing oil cooler, so that its hot air exits below the radiator instead of straight into it.