11-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #21
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I take it that you are running RE71s?
What kind of treadlife are you getting out of these???
AutoX only or track as well?

I've been really tempted to give these a try (road course only, no AutoX) but the rate of wear seen by others is holding me back.

I know one guy that has gone though 6 sets this year for 20 events.
But I think his setup on OE suspension may be a contributing factor.

My tire guy is not recommending unless I plan to spend for a few sets to get through the season.
He's telling me the 200 rating is not realistic & only to make them legal for AutoX (marketing)

I'm getting through the season now on one set of ZII star specs with tread to spare. (10 events)
The problem I was finding was that after getting a number of heat cycles through them, performance really started to fall off & tread wear slowed down.

Oh, & +1 to comments on NT05 I gave them up a long time ago.
Its also a very old tire

Yes, I'm running the RE71s. I'm on my second set which went on in April and they are wearing similar to the 1st set. This set has 4 track days, about 20 autocross events and about 5K miles on and it and is about at the 50% wear point. I'm due to have them side swapped and I estimate they'll make it to April of next year.
I put the first set on in July '15 and they had 1 track day on the Daytona driver school course, but about 30 autocross events and a 3K mile road trip in addition to about 3K-4K daily driving miles. They still had some wear left but one of the rears had a plug in it to fix a nail hole and I didn't want to be running that tire on the Daytona full IMSA course so I wound up changing tires out a bit earlier than needed.
I've found running 2-3 psi above the door sticker pressures for daily driving seems to help a lot with longevity without much detraction from ride or normal driving performance.
Getting only 3 track days per set sounds really out of the norm based on my experience with them and others I know that are running them. Sounds like there's something else going on there.
I'm set up for SCCA Street class so I'm not very modded from OEM. Koni Sports on all 4 corners, H&R front sway. Pins are pulled on the struts so front camber is -1.4 with toe set at zero. Rear camber is set at -2.4 with toe at 0.1.