03-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas3978 View Post
I have question regarding a 1970 BMW 2800 (Bavaria) car I'm about to go purchase in the next couple of weeks. I want your personal comments so I can decide on what I want to do with the car. The car is all original and I was informed that it was previously owned by a producer before they purchased it but I don't know from who as of now. Its been in a garage for the past 27 years so it will need to be refreshed. I'm getting a good deal on it so I think its worth putting some money in it. I will be selling it after Its road worthy and thinking about taking it to the BMW show in Fontana in May.

so do I add newer BMW parts like wheels or leave it all original?
These older BMWs are worth more in original condition than with new "mods".

I would rip off the carbs and have a shop re-build them. You're going to need new tires, and all the hoses in the engine compartment. Drop and drain the fuel tank. There is quite a community (start with mye28.com and ask them for www references.)

I had an E12 530i (similar in many respects.) and it was a great car. IIRC from Roundel issues and articles, a good-condition road-going Bavaria might be worth $10K. A highly-restored one might be twice that. But it's hard to get parts, and the interior is sure to be shot and that's quite a bit of money to restore.
Appreciate 0