06-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
So frustrated that I'm thinking of selling this POS Z4M

Not sure where to start; maybe by saying that I'm stranded here at work on Friday 5pm! Looks like there's an electrical issue going on in my car and don't know how or where this started so I will list the symptoms as best as I can;

My car sat at my local BMW dealer for 1.2 years, perhaps there's a rat nest in there or something I don't know. When I got my car back in November 2016, I have made a few changes to it;

1) I replaced the battery in November 2016 as it was completely shot

2) I replaced the key at the dealership, brand new OEM key, they programmed it and worked like a charm (around December 2016)

3) I then replaced the ignition switch (January 2017)

4) I started having problems with my convertible top. The top motor made a sound as it slowly struggled to go up and down. Eventually, top stopped working and I'm assuming the motor died. (January 2017)

5) I removed the ash tray and swapped it for the OEM AUX tray to be able to hook up my iPhone. I pulled out the radio and plugged in the cable to the back of it. As per instructions, I was supposed to plug it in on a certain slot but was already taken by another OEM cable (GPS I'm thinking..?), so instead I plugged it in to the slot right next to it. AUX worked fine along with radio and GPS. (January 2017)

6) I had a friend do some coding in my car; 3 blinker indicator, parking lamps off while driving, M track mode which was unsuccessful. (February 2017)

7) My LED license plate light went off, which was about 5 years old. I replaced them with new LED's, again from Bimmian (February 2017)

8) The car started dying out of nowhere. I had to jump start it just about every day. With time, it got worse; I was jump starting it daily, sometimes 2-3 times a day. It would die sometimes within a 7 hour window. (March-April 2017)

9) My AC stopped working completely. I read the forums, changed the FSU (final stage unit AKA blower resistor) but that didn't solve the AC problem. It doesn't blow any air, doesn't make any noise, but the dash lights do change as if changing temperature. Possibly went into "transport mode"..? (05/01/17)

10) I replaced the battery. No more problems starting the car whatsoever. Voltage stayed at a steady 14.2.

11) Just two days ago again my car died after a 15 hour window of not starting the car. As of then, it continues to die instantly and now I'm here typing this hate note at work.

To recap;

Items that have been replaced were:
* battery in November 2016 and now in May 2017
* key
* ignition switch
* coding
* ash tray for AUX tray

Things that are malfunctioning:
* convertible top doesn't go up or down
* AC doesn't blow
* GPS screen freezes or stays on a full black display
* alarm only beeps twice when unlocking but doesn't beep once when locking

That's all the details I can think of for now. Tomorrow morning I'm taking it to get a diagnostic test and see which codes come up. Thanks for reading. If you have experienced anything like this, please feel free to share with me as I'm sick of this car by now.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0