View Single Post
      01-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Yes, it does make sense. However, if true, it probably mean you had a bad deal on your lease. In my experience, most leases try to inflate the depreciated value of the car at the end of the lease in form of a high residual value so they can move their inventory.

High residual value makes the "rent amount" part of the lease more affordable which is the highest factor of "affordability" in a lease deal. If the car's market value is worth more than the residual value you had on your lease, the lessor has made good money on the deal. In my experience, this rarely happens unless the car in question moves the dealer's lot like hot cake (so there is no incentive to offer a "great" deal) or the car's model is new to the market and it becomes hot property after being out and demand for it escalates so those early in the line would get a lot better deal right off the bat.

Anyone else disagrees? ....Curious what the terms of the lease were on your old car. I am no lease expert but sounds like you were being had, bro.

to a point, but the residual can fluctuate in either direction (the $4k number makes me want to definitely agree with you). A good example is the 135i vs the 335i. The 135i residual ended up dropping more than they anticipated....thus there's no way in hell you would get a check.
I'm not sure how the 335i held up, but if it depreciated in the market slower than anticipated by the residual, then you would get a check.
Appreciate 0