View Single Post
      03-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #52
zeroselect
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
Racing Principles are racing principles. When it comes down to it racing is all about the balancing of weight on the contact patches (all 4 of them) and connecting dots to achieve the shortest distance possible at speed. There is a reason professional race series develop the equipment and principles they do, while the car does change the way it's driven, the end results and goals are the same.

The reason you heel toe is in order to keep the car loaded properly coming out of the corner, on the initial bite you'll have the majority of the weight transferred to the front under braking to allow the front wheels to turn in, however once you pass the initial turn in point the goal is to transfer the load from the front to the rear in a controlled manner to come out in power, it's less about engine braking than it is about keeping the car properly loaded for ideal weight transfer to the wheels that will accelerate you out of the corner.

I've done plenty of ride arounds in various cars from cup cars, Ferrari challenge,street cars, etc and I've yet to see an instructor hold the clutch in going through a corner. That being said whats the first thing you do in a spin (hint : both feet in)
I didn't say you hold your clutch in while at turn but at the moment of intial braking from a main straight all they way until you get into your turn in.

So to clarify:

Coming to braking point from 160+mph 6th gear
-Brake, clutch pedal depressed, and shift into neutral then into third
-before moment of turn in heel and toe to rematch and releas clutch
-then turn in

Getting into weight transfer is a different discussion and goes into why you brake into corners, left foot braking, and car rotations (etc.)
Spare Track: 93 Nissan 240sx
Appreciate 0