View Single Post
      11-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsbmw View Post
$500 in parts, wholesale? Is this presuming that a lot of the checks performed expose parts requiring replacement?

To me, the only things requiring replacement at Inspection 2, according to the BMW list, are:

Engine Oil
Tranny fluid
Diff fluid
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Shims for Valve Adjustment
Cabin micro filter

maybe I am wrong, But I dont think the price of the above parts adds up to 500. (I dont know the price for the bmw drive train fluids, I use redline, which is probably way cheaper)

I agree that 1200 would probably be the right price at the dealer.(the labor for the valve adjustment is probably a big chunk)

I say just do all of the fluid / filter changes yourself, if you dont know how, learn how. Do the valve adjustment yourself too! (but if you have to learn how to change some fluids, you probably aren't ready to tackle a valve adjustment..)
Unfortunately that's the problem when people who have no experience or knowledge on a subject "think" or give advice. It's usually wrong. Not to be a dick but those thinking it's a $300 job clearly have neither.

A short list of the 100% required things for an inspection II, not even including all the parts required to be replaced and lacking ~ $400-500 worth of labor.

You also should use only BMW fluids in your diff, and I wouldn't use redline in my tranny either.

Engine oil 6x 9$ = $54
Oil Filter $10
Tranny fluid 5 liter @ 150, 2.5 liter needed = $75
Diff fluid $40 a bottle x3 = $120 (If you dare use the non additive stuff then $50)
Spark plugs 6 x $18 =108
Microfilter $40
Engine filter $25
Valve cover gasket $35 (Required for valve shimming)
Sealing rings 6 x $7 = 42 (ditto)

= $509 Parts alone WHOLESALE (NOT including many many hours in labor and you will be billed more for the parts by almost $100).

And that is not including some other not included things like wiper blade inserts. As I stopped when I got to $500 or things that are not required specifically at inspection II but a good idea like brake fluid flush or a coolant flush.

This is also not a DIY job unless you want to run the very easy risk of having to tow it to someplace that actually knows what they are doing and pray that they manage to find the shim you dropped before it tears your engine apart. Not to mention the likely possibility you forget to put a retaining clip back in or accidentally shim the clearance wrong.

Last edited by O-cha; 11-16-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0