View Single Post
      12-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyrms View Post
wow, I guess people here are pretty serious, I guess my "bird migrating" joke wasn't really good cause no one seemed to be laughing.
I was thinking that this was another halfhearted discussion about stuff in general, but apparently I'm wrong.
Well, if this is going to be serious matter, then I would like to talk about this statistic seriously.

First thing first, I did notice that whoever made this "table" did divide the total population at the end, hence the part where I wrote "first of all, assuming that this statistic takes into account that the population of the United States is 300k vs Germany with only 80k" (pardon the K part, I meant M), this statement meant that I already assumed that this statistic was normalized according to population (I know, I know, my English is a bit confusing).

The second thing is that, I don't think that this statistic is a good indicator of US drivers, why? Well it's taking the number of accident and divide over the total population. What about people that doesn't drive? Which raise an interesting question, how many people in Germany has license and how many people in the US has license? This alone will have a great impact on the statistic. Not to mention a host of different things that I doubt the statistic took into account such as age distribution and road condition (yeah road condition is a factor because; bigger country, larger infrastructure, more road to maintain, the road miles vs population is a big factor in a country's ability to maintain the roads) etc...

Anyway, now that I know that this forum is serious business, I'll know not to bring my joking attitude here again, sorry for the trouble guys, hope my 2cents opens up more Productive discussion, and not personal bias.
Thats exactly one of the problems: not every idiot in Germany or EU has a drivers license because their system is better and tougher. There is nothing wrong with the statistics. More people drive in this country and they shouldn't unless they change some laws.