View Single Post
      02-04-2024, 06:26 AM   #17
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
We are in the same boat. We have a F25 X3 and will likely move to a larger SUV, but for $60k-90k, we're going to want the SUV to have decent towing/trailering capability.

BMW doesn't make any 1/2 ton based full size SUV so the X5 or X7 are not under consideration.

For a unibody 3 row RWD based SUV, we'd probably go with the 2025 Ford Explorer ST. It has decent driving dynamics and it's a proven platform for severe duty use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I've seen this mentioned a couple of times but don't both the X5 and the X7 have have a towing capacity something like 2,000-lbs more than an Explorer?
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to imply that the Ford Explorer was a "towing machine". Neither the Ford Explorer, X5, nor X7 have an integrated brake controller from the factory so I wouldn't really consider any of them for towing.

We intend to order a 2024 F150 in the next month or so for the purposes of towing. When we look to replace the F25 X3 in 2-4 years, we would look for a larger SUV but we would most likely be deciding between a Suburban/Yukon XL/Expedition Max or a Ford Explorer.

The X5 and X7 are good all-around SUV, but once you're in that price range, I think most households that are not space limited have 3 or more cars. At that point, each one doesn't have to be necessarily good at everything, but they have to provide a capability that the X5 or X7 doesn't have. That's where we are at.
Appreciate 1
ppointer814.50