View Single Post
      07-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

It has a dipstick!

In all seriousness, the M54 is likely a last of breed engine for BMW. The reliability of the new N52/4 engines needs to be proven out over many years before I will be a believer, and the combination of strange noises they make (which are usually said to be within spec, or operating as designed) and the 100% reliance on electronic nanny systems for all maintenance issues seems ridiculous to me. The new hybrid alu / mag construction seems nice, but as with some new technologies I'm taking a wait and see approach. Originally I thought the M54 would be a much better bet if I chose to go FI down the road. Although there are some good kits out there, the N series is proving it can hold its own quite well with the highly modified *35's out there.

Now, in 5 years I could be eating my words and these could be rock solid systems, but the M54 has that tried and true experience already. Whats more, any project that I can't do on it, I know full well that BMW mechanics, both at the dealer and independents, have years of experience working on and fixing these engines.

All of this is just my opinion, and the ravings of a delusional z nut so take with a grain of salt. <sorry for the off topic>
Appreciate 0