View Single Post
      03-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I installed a back-up camera years ago in my coupe. My memory's a bit fuzzy but here are some tips.

I had to purchase a video interface from NavTool to connect the camera to the DVD navigation computer. If you already have a form of video input, then you won't need this. The NavTool also supports two video interfaces so a front camera can be installed (I never got around to doing that so I can't comment on how that goes).

What I also remember was I had to remove all the carpet and paneling in the trunk to get to the DVD system to connect the NavTool and wire everything up. The bumper also has to come off for the camera installation and if I remember correctly, I didn't have to do any drilling anywhere on the car. I just ran the wires along with everything else through the frame.

It was more time-consuming than it was difficult. I think the hardest thing was figuring out which wires to tap for power. To toggle the rear camera, and I tapped the reverse lights.

Lastly, if yours has guide lines keep in mind they won't be ideal for our car. I think most guide lines are designed to account for taller vehicles. So do some careful experimenting after you install it to make a mental note of which lines mean what distance from an object. If you go without lines that's also an option (most cameras have you snip a wire to disable guide lines).

When I installed mine I was an absolute newbie at this kind of stuff so it took about five hours because I wanted to be extra careful, I had an extra step at modding a camera with a license plate light, and I was also a dummy at figuring out all the wiring. If I had to do this again today I estimate the work would take two hours or less. Depending on your experience, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!