Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Man, if you didn't have bad luck.

Sounds like the shop is a stand up place.
Good luck.
In a lot of cases I feel like this is hearing about someone's bad relationship. People think "why would you ever be wth that person?!" or "how did that ever become a thing?" My point being that I hope that y'all see they do try to do by right by me, but unfortunately y'all do only hear the bad. All of this has been bad no matter what, but there have been massive exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Dang, I was feeling sick on my stomach reading your story. I can only imagine the roller coaster of emotions you experienced. I'm glad they provided a loaner, and hope your luck is going to make a turn for the better from here out.

Salty
Thanks Salty, I can't imagine a whole lot else is going to go south from here, but I'm definitely still knocking on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
This is one of the most disgusting, revolting stories I have ever read in years of reading nightmare stories on the internet. All of this happens because you tried to do the sensible thing and replace your bearings as maintenance. This is so sick.

I don't know what else to say except be sure to get whatever that shop promises you in writing immediately. We're talking real money here (I think you said over $16k?), and emotions get the best of everyone. What they said in the moment might be entirely different than what they tell you in a couple days, especially when they've had time to think about it and realization of the money hit comes.

Get it all in writing immediately.
We are actually further north than 16, I hadn't included the new oil cooler at that point and a few ther bits and pieces. I'll get them to write something up here soon, my only fear is that when I go by and do that the other shop owner (because it's a partnership) will lose his mind because he only works on financials and not cars. The last time I talked with him we went from a payment plan to catch up on the car to pay in full. I wound up extending the equity on my loan because I had paid down a lot of it when I first purchased the vehicle. It's still holding 29k for the equity so that was cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
It's nice that they will rebuild the engine and all, but if they would have been thorough they wouldn't have to. Even if it's the machine shops fault, they sent your stuff to them and didn't double check everything before assembly. If you want something done right you do it yourself or at least double check if the job was done correctly.

I feel for you.

Edit: I thought our cars warned about overheating (coolant). Faulty sensor?
They do, we get a red light on the dash displaying coolant. Although this didn't light up until after the motor went down. I think that you can see this if you turn the key to accessory.

I agree on them talking with he machine shop to try to come to an agreement, however they didn't seem to get anywhere. He should have doubled checked everything but he admits that he didn't. He has used the machine shop for long enough that he's built enough trust with them and felt t wasn't necessary (is how it was expressed). I was thinking it was just the head because they didn't feel the need to resurface it. Turns out it was a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
speechless tbh....
Yeah I have no clue what's going on anymore. Life is weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
Are they using the same machine shop they originally used? If there were metal pieces (from bearings) floating around they will need to make sure all the oil passages are clear including a new oil cooler. I think I would be pushing for new crankshaft, pistons, etc.
We replaced all of the oil flow components before from the pumps to the lines everything has been replaced. Even the cooler itself. They will likely reuse all of those components because they essentially are brand new. I know he will clean and flush them before reassembly, but he is coming out of pocket and those have already been replaced. Should anything else show up or go wrong, I will revisit with them about it at that time I think.

The machine shop has volunteered to do the work again, for free to the shop. They are going to take it to another race motor machine shop in Austin to get it looked over and measured again. He will then measure it once more himself before putting the motor back together.

I thought about pushing for new components. They price out to around 7,000 which I do not have any reserve to put towards the car. The crank and rods were old components along with the head that I don't have replaced or bought new. Do you think they should be replaced as new components regardless? I couldn't decide if that was the right course of action or not. I'm kind of just happy they're trying at all to rebuild it again and I don't have any costs for it. But that's why I come here, I haven't been through this and all advice is welcome.

Bottom line. I just want to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I don't understand how a bad crankshaft causes all of the coolant to disappear. I'm kinda wondering what was the cause and what was the effect. Chicken/egg.
I was told it over pressurized the cylinder (again) and this caused the failure as that pressure pushed out the crank the first time it broke down. I could be wrong but that would break the seals for that cylinder flooding or mixing the coolant. Y'all might know better than me though.

Last edited by Arsonism; 03-04-2016 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0