Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktore View Post
This is a very pertinent thread to my dilemma. I usually drive an automatic, so when I rent a car in Europe, it usually takes me a few hours to get the clutch working to perfection....but on a Skoda or a Volvo, or whatever, a family sedan in general, it is not that complicated and the gears go in very smooth......here is me getting an M coupe recently - ooooh boy, was I for a gear shifting lesson of a lifetime. It seems that the 1st and 2nd gears are hard to get into, I sometimes have to "struggle" getting the lever up or down, which made me search for threads with similar complaints. And behold....I am not the only one. Besides jerking sometimes, which made me try starting off from the 2nd gear, with some improved smoothness, it is the "difficulty" getting into the gear in which puzzles me. Now, I am not a mechanic, nor a racecar driver, so I will post it to you gurus out there - would "short shifter" remedy or help with this peculiarity? (http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...4_transmission). And can anyone comment on short shifters and how has it changed their shifting? Are the gear changes smoother or not. Are they more "precise" or not?
1st to 2nd is a bitch. It doesn't want to slide into 2nd unless you timed it perfectly (when shifting under 4K), which I'm still trying to master after all these years with the Z. Agreed with Jeff that shifting at higher than 4K would be much better. I'm still on the OE trans fluid. I may try something else on the next fluid change to see if I can remedied this.

I would think the short shifter would make it worst as you'll lose the leverage. Before going full short shifter change, you may want to change out the shifter knob itself with the ZHP weighted knob, which is quite a bit shorter.

FYI...The trans mount didn't help my 1st to 2nd issue.
Appreciate 0